Weekly ReadingSeptember 5, 2008 By Wilson Center Staff“African and global leaders must promote better integration of environment and health sectors and sustain more effective coordination across the continent,” argues an op-ed in The Lancet addressing the recent meeting of African health and environment ministers.
In “Mixing climate change with the war on terror,” Lyle Hopkins, a former captain in the U.S. Air Force, argues against the “securitization” of the debate over the implications of climate change.
Strengthening Land Tenure and Property Rights in Angola evaluates a U.S. Agency for International Development-funded project to bolster the land tenure and property rights of Angolans living in peri-urban and rural areas.
According to an article in the Christian Science Monitor, rebel groups in the
have turned to stealing and selling cows to finance the conflict that has devastated the country. Democratic Republic of the Congo
The Sierra Leone Integrated Diamond Management Program, which “was designed to improve local incentives for clean diamond management, enable local communities to benefit from the diamond resource, and to assist the Government of Sierra Leone (GOSL) in its effort to manage this critical resource,” has achieved considerable success over a short time period, according to a final report on the program.
The 2007 Liberia Demographic and Health Survey, available in full online, covers population; family planning; fertility; child health, mortality, and nutrition; maternal health, mortality, and nutrition; malaria, HIV/AIDS, and other diseases; gender-based violence; and a variety of other topics.
for Conversion has released “Monitoring Environment and Security: Integrating concepts and enhancing methodologies,” a brief that examines where further global monitoring of the environment for security and stability is needed. Bonn International Center
Join the Conversation
- IRIN Africa | How Boko Haram is killing off farms | Nigeria | Conflict | Economy | Environment | Food Security | Governance | Refugees/IDPs | Security
- IRIN Africa | Rising seas ruining lives in Togo | Togo | Environment
- Paris climate change deal too weak to help poor, critics warn | Environment | The Guardian
- Zimbabwe declares 'state of disaster' due to drought | World news | The Guardian
- Funds for Syria need to be ringfenced for women, civil society groups say | Global development | The Guardian